THE MYSTERY OF SHARP REYNOLDS' LETTER TO GENERAL JACKSON

by Randy Reynolds

It was imperative that Sharp Spencer Reynolds of the Glade District in Hall County, Georgia, get in touch with former president Andrew Jackson in April, 1842.  Sharp had made, and kept, a promise that he wanted General Jackson to know about: he had named his second son after Jackson.

But there is an enduring mystery about that letter.

After writing a few pleasantries and invoking the blessings of God, Sharp took a moment to ingratiate himself with the Democrat Jackson by getting in a dig at the late Whig President William Henry Harrison and his successor John Tyler. He seemed thankful for Harrison's death.

And then he got down to the real business of his letter, which is preserved in Jackson's papers at the Library of Congress:  he wanted something of Jackson's to give to his new son, Andrew Jackson Reynolds.  A memento, a souvenir, a gee-gaw of any kind would obviously suffice. Sharp just wanted his new son to have something of Jackson's that would keep the great man ever in the boy's mind and inspire him in his youth.

I imagine that anything General Jackson might have sent--a ribbon, a button, even an autograph--would have been mightily appreciated by the Jackson-loving Sharp Reynolds and would have been a lifetime treasure for little Andrew Jackson Reynolds.


But here's the mystery:  Sharp Reynolds stated that Andrew Jackson himself was born on the 15th day of March (which is correct) and that the new baby Andrew Jackson Reynolds shared the General's birth month, having been born on the 26th day of March, 1842. However, all records including census forms and Andrew Jackson Reynolds' tombstone state that he was born August 4, 1842, a date that was still  four months in the future when this letter was written.

If August 4, 1842, is correct, then Sharp Reynolds lied by telling General Jackson that his namesake was born March 26, 1842. That baby would be in Nancy Bates Reynolds' womb for four more months beyond that March; plus, there was no way of knowing if it would be a boy.

Things we know for sure about Andrew Jackson Reynolds: at the age of 19, he went to war for the Confederacy, enrolling in Company D, 27th Georgia Volunteers, (Captain Dorsey's Company.) His older brother John B. Reynolds, age 23, also enlisted in the same unit that day.

John B. died of typhoid in a Richmond, Virginia, hospital April 5, 1862.

Andrew lost a leg but survived the war and became a Baptist preacher in and around Gainesville, Georgia. He married Marietta Buffington, January 5, 1863, in Hall County. He died in Braselton on February 9, 1900, at the apparent age of 57.

Here's the letter Sharp Spencer Reynolds wrote either four weeks after or four months prior to the birth of Andrew Jackson Reynolds:

(Note: the two page letter was all one paragraph. In the printout that follows the handwritten copies, I separated the sentences by subject matter to make for easier reading.)





Georgia, Hall County

My dear old friend not personal but political I now embrace the present opportunity of droping (sic) you a line to let you know that we are all Reasonable well at present through the mercies of kind providence and hope that these lines may come safe to hand and find you enjoying the Lord’s blessings.  

I have intended to write to you for some time to let you know that I know you and I have always said if my wife had two sons I would call one Andrew Jackson. Our first son was our seventh child. We call him after his two grandpas John Bartimous. Bartimous was my father’s name. John was my wife’s father’s name. Him I would suppose you know from connections Gen’l John Bates of Hall. he has Represented this county in the Legislator (sic) for 12 or 15 years. he is now living in Murray county Georgia near Tennessee, your own state. Him and me have intended to pay you a visit some years back but failed. I have always wanted to see your person. 

We have had hard times in this state to maintain your principals, the farewell address you give the people of the united states I thought was sufficient to satisfy every man that was a friend to his country but Harrison and Tyler had got in but thanks be to providence they can’t stay.  

I am ever hopeful the people will get their eyes open before it is to (sic) late but it is doubtful for the blinded zeal of a mis-guided people or mind is hard to lessen. Sometimes it takes a Sampson with the jawbone to do it. Sometimes a Jackson at N. Orleans and now a Benton to speak in the senate. 

I had a man with me last fall that was with you in the battle at N. Orleans and he said that you would not quit the place till you killed the traitors. There are a great many persons of my acquaintance that was with you in the Creek war.  

I must come to a close with a few Remarks on your birthday and my sons. You was born on the 15th of March. My son on the 26th day of the same month in the year 1842. and may he be like you in general. My desire is that you should make my son a present that he may keep in Remembrance of you that will be beneficial to the youth. 

I live near Gainesville Hall County Georgia. I must now close my Remarks by saying to you may god bless you in old age and save your immortal soul in his kingdom above is my prayer for Jesus sake.
April 25th 1842 
Genl Andrew Jackson                               


      Sharp S. Reynolds